Art and Design
Our Art and Design Curriculum: Achievement through Excellence and Enjoyment
At Wymondham CE Primary School Art and Design is an important part of our broad and balanced curriculum. We offer an exciting art and design education where the aim is to equip children with knowledge and skills and to inspire and challenge them. Our curriculum allows them to have the confidence to experiment, and create their own works of art, craft and design. Through evaluation of their work they are able to develop critical thinking and a deeper understanding of art and design. They are also enabled to explore the impact of art, craft and design throughout history and from a range of cultures.
We follow the national curriculum aims for art and design to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
The children are taught Art as a discrete subject and integrated across other areas of the curriculum. Our long-term plan allows children to explore a range of disciplines and media including, painting, drawing, textiles, collage and sculpture. The children learn about the work of famous local, national and international artists to further enhance their learning. Children will experience the following at our school:
Key stage 1
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Key stage 2
Pupils are taught to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design. Pupils are taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history.
Children of all ages are offered the chance to engage in competitions in Art and Design at Wymondham CE Primary School and we encourage visits and visitors to develop knowledge and understanding.
Early Years Foundation Stage
Children are enabled to use a range of media and materials and develop skills through teacher directed activities and independent exploration. They develop their understanding of materials in order to manipulate and create different effects. They are taught how to use tools and techniques with greater control and confidence. They are shown how to work with purpose, to express their own ideas and how to evaluate their work.
The children at Wymondham CE Primary School have an Art and Design portfolio which they take with them as they move through the school. This enables the children and staff to see the progress children have made. Summative assessments take place throughout the year and teachers use this information to inform future lessons, ensuring that children are supported and challenged appropriately. Further information is gathered through verbal feedback and staff discuss achievement, improvements and knowledge and skills that form next steps.
Children in the Early Years are assessed within Expressive Arts and Design and their progress is tracked termly. Age related expectation levels are reported to parents at the end of the reception year.